Sunday 26 May 2013

Radish Water Kimchi (동치미 = Dongchimi)

Let me introduce this Dongchimi (동치미 = Radish Water Kimchi). dong (동; hanja:  = winter) and chimi (치미 = an ancient term for kimchi).

My friend brought to us to eat K-BBQ and they served this dongchimi as side dish. Wow!!! love the colling effect and the taste... however, the ahjumma from the restaurant didn't reveal too much on the ingredients and how to make it... (not to blame her, as she's doing business).

I googled and so happy that I found the recipe from Maangchi. Here are some photos of my first attempt of making dongchimi in Aug 2012:

salting radish with some coriander & spring onion


 Aigoo... I just found out now that I forgot to put onion.
No wonder the taste was a bit bland (blame my eyes)


 the result after fermentated for 2 days... not bad, huh?
can you see bubbles rising on the brine (sign of active fermentation)


Like any other kimchi, Dongchimi is also a very healthy food.  During fermentation, healthy bacteria, acidity and sweetness develop, producing a tangy, amazing refreshing broth that you can eat it on its own or as a side dish. You can use the broth for cold noodle too.

 
1. learned how to cook Bibim Cold Noddle (비빔 냉면) conducted by KTO Singapore 

2. Bibim Cold Noddle + 2 weeks old Dongchimi => 물 비빔 냉면 ^^


I love to eat buffet, and my Korean friend told me to eat Dongchimi after heavy meal as it is good for stuffed tummy.

Radish is rich in digestive enzyme (diastase) that promotes digestion. And a recent study by a research team at Pusan National University, shows that garlic and ginger in white kimchi also produce fat-dissolving effects that are as strong as those generated by capsaicin... I think that's one of the reasons why Korea is the thinnest country in the developed world
  
I want to be healthy and have slim figure like Korean, so today is my second attempt to make this water kimchi. (say: Kimchi ^^)

Salted the radish and kept in the fridge for 1 night


ingredients:
 Radish, Korean pear, garlic, ginger, onion, green pepper, red pepper, spring onion & coriander


Dongchimi is now diving in this brine water aquarium ^^


Will post more photos on my Facebook 2 days later...

Annyeong~^^







No comments:

Post a Comment